love potion | valentine’s day cocktail

Two cocktail recipes in a row, I know. I have been obsessing a bit about cocktails and not only because they’re fun and delicious, but they also present a wonderful photographic challenge. From styling to lighting there are elements to shooting cocktails that are both thrilling and completely frustrating. And yet I keep coming back for more.
So far, most of my cocktail photos have been dark and moody, with a bit of color here and there. I wanted to photograph something light and, well…girly. I figured since Valentine’s Day is staring us right in the face, a cutie little pink cocktail would be a perfect fit.

We went back to the drawing board on this one several times until we perfected the vision of this sweet little drink. I saw ‘we’ because my resident cocktail tester was always a big help.

This cocktail is delightful and surprising; made with a mix of raspberry, creme de cocoa and creme de menthe. You can even add a touch of cream if you like; I know I did.

It’s perfect for a sweet Valentine’s celebration. Especially if you’re staying in like we are.

Happy Monday!!

I’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite romantic cocktails?

Love Potion

makes 1 cocktail
Ingredients:
1/4 oz clear creme de menthe (or peppermint schnapps)
1/2 oz clear creme de cocoa
1 oz vanilla vodka

1 1/2 oz raspberry simple syrup (recipe follows)
1/2 oz cream or half and half (optional)

Directions:
Pour all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled and strain into small cocktail glass. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Enjoy!

Raspberry Simple Syrup:
Add 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of raspberries to a small saucepan. Bring to boil and allow mixture to boil for 3 minutes. All syrup to cool completely and strain off solids. Syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

22 Responses to “love potion | valentine’s day cocktail”

1. Cookbook Queen — February 11, 2013 @ 12:53 pm (#)

These are gorgeous…love all the pink!!

• Emily Caruso — February 12, 2013 @ 12:30 am (#)

Thanks so much! Pink is a real challenge for me for some reason. I love it and struggle with it all at the same time. Thanks again for the kind words :)

2. Cate Holst — February 11, 2013 @ 11:55 pm (#)

Wow, these photos are sensational. Can’t wait to make the cocktail

• Emily Caruso — February 12, 2013 @ 12:30 am (#)

Thanks, Cate! I hope you enjoy it and have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

3. Nancy P. — February 12, 2013 @ 3:46 am (#)

I love how it is called Love Potion! This is so great for Valentine’s Day!

• Emily Caruso — February 14, 2013 @ 5:44 am (#)

Thanks, Nancy! I’m glad you like the name :)

4. Katie — February 12, 2013 @ 11:51 pm (#)

This sounds amazing! Beautiful photos!

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — February 13, 2013 @ 11:28 pm (#)

So beautiful! I love that pastel pink. I am so inept when it comes to cocktails, it always amazes me when people come up with ideas like this. Because I’m more “Hey, can I put some sprite in this wine? Cocktail!”

• Emily Caruso — February 14, 2013 @ 5:43 am (#)

Ha! I have to say that I am often the same way with cocktails. I’m not sure what constitutes as a proper flavor combo, but if it tastes good to me, I’m okay with it. Sprite and wine sounds delicious, by the way!
      Thanks so much, Kiersten!

6. Kate | Food Babbles — February 15, 2013 @ 3:49 am (#)

Your pictures are gorgeous Emily! I have yet to even remotely master the art of taking pictures of beverage. I just stink at it. You on the other hand clearly know what you’re doing. This is beautiful! I definitely need to try making this lovely cocktail.

7. Pingback: rosemary lemon shortbread + a rosemary citrus spritzer - Jelly Toast

8. Pingback: spiked caramel apple cider - Jelly Toast