beer brats with pepper relish #SundaySupper
These Beer Brats with Pepper Relish are a fresh take on the traditional grilled brat, plus they’re a sure fire way to make Father’s Day dinner extra special.
Happy Father’s Day!
For all of the amazing dads out there, this week’s Sunday Supper is a special one, just for you. I’m blessed to have some pretty great dads in my life, including my very own dad as well as my wonderful husband – not to mention my brothers and brothers-in-law.
Around our house, as soon as the weather turns warm we break out the grill. Pretty much anything that can be cooked on the grill will get cooked on the grill for about the next 3 months. Everything tastes better grilled. Food takes on a slightly smokey, charred flavor that can only be considered awesome.
Awesome smokey goodness.
This year for Father’s Day, I thought it would be fun to cook up some beer brats with tangy and colorful pepper relish. I picked up a bag of mini peppers at the store last week because they were too dang cute to pass up. A quick and easy pickling turned these bright peppers into a beautiful pepper relish that went perfectly with the smokey, grilled beer brats.
I love cooking fresh brats in beer before throwing them on the grill. Have you ever tried it? First, it helps ensure that the brats are fully cooked and therefore reduces grilling time. Second, it imparts fabulous flavor deep into the brat that screams summer cookout. Pop these grilled brats into toasted hoagie buns that are smeared with spicy brown mustard. Finish them off with a generous helping of pepper relish and you have yourself a cook out fit for a king!
For the king of your house, at least.
Happy Father’s Day!
Yield: 6 servings Place pepper rings in a large, heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over pepper rings and let stand for about 5 minutes or until peppers are beginning to become tender. Drain. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and salt to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a low simmer and sugar dissolves completely. Add pepper rings and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Transfer to a mason jar and set aside. Place brats in a large pot and pour in beer and three cups of water (or enough to cover the brats). Bring to a boil and cook until brats are cooked through. Drain. Grill brats over medium high heat on an outdoor or indoor grill or until outsides of brats golden brown. Top with pepper relish and spicy mustard. Enjoy!
Beer Brats with Pepper Relish Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Place pepper rings in a large, heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over pepper rings and let stand for about 5 minutes or until peppers are beginning to become tender. Drain.
Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and salt to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a low simmer and sugar dissolves completely. Add pepper rings and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Transfer to a mason jar and set aside.
Place brats in a large pot and pour in beer and three cups of water (or enough to cover the brats). Bring to a boil and cook until brats are cooked through. Drain. Grill brats over medium high heat on an outdoor or indoor grill or until outsides of brats golden brown. Top with pepper relish and spicy mustard. Enjoy!
Looking for more Manly Food inspiration for tonight’s dinner? Look no further than the Sunday Supper table!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Pingback: Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Pingback: Serving up some MAN FOOD around the family table #SundaySupper
Pingback: Jerk Chicken Wings for #SundaySupper | Mommasmeals.org
Pingback: Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™
Pingback: Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer — Family Foodie
We grill all summer at our house, but have never made brats with beer. I am sooo adding this to a meal for the mister to try!
Pingback: Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin' cake #SundaySupper - Baking and Browning
Pingback: Meatball Style Veggie Burgers for #SundaySupper - Healthy. Delicious.
Pingback: Devils on Horseback Recipe | Nosh My Way
Pingback: Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Pingback: Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) #SundaySupper
We love brats around here…and now I MUST try them with your gorgeous pepper relish!
Pingback: Fried Pickles #SundaySupper - Cookin' Mimi
Pingback: Dude Food: Beer Funnel Cake Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc
Pingback: Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker — Shockingly Delicious
I love how you cooked these in beer before grilling them! Sounds delicious! I love your “man food” recipe!
Pingback: Black Forest Cake for Man Food #SundaySupper | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands
Im pretty sure that I would put that pepper relish on just about everything… serious Yum!
Oh wow this looks like a great BBQ relish. I know a lot of things hubby would use this with, will have to make some for the next BBQ. We too grill as often as possible during the summer.
Pingback: Carob Chip Cookies | Pies and Plots
Pingback: Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets for a Man Food #SundaySupper | gotta get baked
I can’t remember the last time I had a brat, but I love the addition of your homemade pepper relish. YUM
Pingback: Huevos Rancheros Casserole #SundaySupper - Pescetarian Journal
Pingback: Ropa Vieja #SundaySupper — MealDiva
Pingback: Coconut Prawns | The Wimpy Vegetarian
I love everything about this and I know hubby would too, “have to try recipe”!!!
That relish is calling my name!
What a great idea to cook them in beer first! I’ll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip! pinned!!
I love that pepper relish! This is a great dish for Father’s Day…grilling anything that’s been soaked in beer sounds good to me!
Pingback: BBQ Chicken Nacho #SundaySupper | Country Girl in the Village
Pingback: Maple and Sriracha Chicken Wings
Beer brats are the best!!!! GREAT idea for the perfect man food!
Pingback: Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
I love beer brats with all my heart. The idea of topping them with pepper relish is fantastic!
Gorgeous post Emily! It’s not Father’s Day over here (in Australia) but I’m loving this round up of man food! I hope that the men in your life enjoy a beautiful Father’s Day… this is a gorgeous celebratory meal! I’m definitely going to try this for my husband, he’d adore it xx
Pingback: Beer Can Chicken for a Father's Day #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere
Oh I am lovin’ this recipe. We eat a lot of brats too. The thought to add beer to the cooking of the brat never crossed my mind. Thanks for the idea. Man Food never looked better.
Pingback: Cowboy Beef Nachos : Manly Meals #SundaySupper - Daily Dish Recipes
Nothing like a good brat loaded with goodies! Yours looks amazing!
Thanks so much, Martin!
Love these! Such easy man food!
I’ve never heard of boiling brats in beer before but now I really want to give it a try! I looooooove grilling too and will be doing so as much as humanly possible in the next three months. I love these photos – the styling is fabulous and the use of the newspaper is really cool. I suddenly have an intense craving for a hot dog…
omgosh!! I love the idea of cooking the brats in beer first! Yummers!!
It’s great because you can use whatever beer you like!
Pingback: Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly (Toast Topper #forty seven) #SundaySupper | JanNews Blog
Very manly, Emily!
Thank you, Cindy!!
Pingback: Coconut and Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers for #SundaySupper | Take A Bite Out of Boca
The men might want to step aside because I’d be running to the table to get this feast. Love me some brats and that homemade pepper relish looks heavenly.
Sausage + beer + peppers = the perfect man food meal!!
Pingback: Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
Pingback: Huevos Rancheros Casserole #SundaySupper
Pingback: #SundaySupper The Cleveland Hogg Burger | Seduction in the Kitchen
Pingback: Beef Short Rib Sandwich #SundaySupper | Life Tastes Good