beer brats with pepper relish #SundaySupper
These Beer Brats with Pepper Relish are a fresh take on the traditional grilled brat, plus they’re a sure fire way to make Father’s Day dinner extra special.
Happy Father’s Day!
For all of the amazing dads out there, this week’s Sunday Supper is a special one, just for you. I’m blessed to have some pretty great dads in my life, including my very own dad as well as my wonderful husband – not to mention my brothers and brothers-in-law.
Around our house, as soon as the weather turns warm we break out the grill. Pretty much anything that can be cooked on the grill will get cooked on the grill for about the next 3 months. Everything tastes better grilled. Food takes on a slightly smokey, charred flavor that can only be considered awesome.
Awesome smokey goodness.
This year for Father’s Day, I thought it would be fun to cook up some beer brats with tangy and colorful pepper relish. I picked up a bag of mini peppers at the store last week because they were too dang cute to pass up. A quick and easy pickling turned these bright peppers into a beautiful pepper relish that went perfectly with the smokey, grilled beer brats.
I love cooking fresh brats in beer before throwing them on the grill. Have you ever tried it? First, it helps ensure that the brats are fully cooked and therefore reduces grilling time. Second, it imparts fabulous flavor deep into the brat that screams summer cookout. Pop these grilled brats into toasted hoagie buns that are smeared with spicy brown mustard. Finish them off with a generous helping of pepper relish and you have yourself a cook out fit for a king!
For the king of your house, at least.
Happy Father’s Day!
Yield: 6 servings Place pepper rings in a large, heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over pepper rings and let stand for about 5 minutes or until peppers are beginning to become tender. Drain. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and salt to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a low simmer and sugar dissolves completely. Add pepper rings and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Transfer to a mason jar and set aside. Place brats in a large pot and pour in beer and three cups of water (or enough to cover the brats). Bring to a boil and cook until brats are cooked through. Drain. Grill brats over medium high heat on an outdoor or indoor grill or until outsides of brats golden brown. Top with pepper relish and spicy mustard. Enjoy!
Beer Brats with Pepper Relish Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Place pepper rings in a large, heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over pepper rings and let stand for about 5 minutes or until peppers are beginning to become tender. Drain.
Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and salt to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a low simmer and sugar dissolves completely. Add pepper rings and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Transfer to a mason jar and set aside.
Place brats in a large pot and pour in beer and three cups of water (or enough to cover the brats). Bring to a boil and cook until brats are cooked through. Drain. Grill brats over medium high heat on an outdoor or indoor grill or until outsides of brats golden brown. Top with pepper relish and spicy mustard. Enjoy!
Looking for more Manly Food inspiration for tonight’s dinner? Look no further than the Sunday Supper table!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.