steak skewers with chimichurri #SundaySupper

Summer BBQ season is in full swing and these juicy, marinated Steak Skewers with Chimichurri sauce make the perfect grilled family meal.
Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Jelly Toast #SundaySupperAs much as I grumble about how Summer brings me down, I can always get on board with a cookout. Who doesn’t like smokey, grilled food and more pasta salad than you can shake a stick at? As a kid, I remember my mom making the most amazing pasta salad made with thick spaghetti noodles, broccoli, tomatoes and carrots. We ate it often during the summer months making me quite the happy camper. It was also during these months that my dad would break out the grill to whip up bacon wrapped steaks, BBQ chicken and his specialty: shish kabobs.

Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Jelly Toast #SundaySupper

While my mom did the majority of cooking in our house, my dad would often cook on the weekends and he was (and still is) a wonderful cook. Shish kabobs were one of his favorites to make during the summertime, and one of my favorite meals to help make.

It was also one of my favorite to eat, but that’s a given.

My dad would start the shish kabob making process by prepping all of the veggies: chunking up vibrant bell peppers, washing mushrooms and cutting red onions into lovely little wedges. When it came the protein, it varied between steak, pork and chicken – although my favorite was his steak shish kabobs. The steak would get chunked up and given a quick marinade before before I got to help skewer all the ingredients onto the long metal skewers.

That was my favorite part. Making patterns and choosing which ingredient to add next. Now that I’m the parent, I get great happiness in passing this step onto them. Encouraging them to be a part of our dinner preparation gives them such a sense of accomplishment and I hope they are forming the same summer grilling memories that I have from my childhood, cooking with my dad.

skewer patterns by Jelly Toast

Here’s the Baby showing off her vegetable patterning skills. I think she’s almost ready for Top Chef.

Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Jelly Toast #SundaySupper

It’s impossible for me to make shish kabobs of any kind without thinking of being up at the counter with my dad with bowls of ingredients laid out before us, methodically adding vegetables and meat to each kabob. This recipe is very similar to one that he makes, the only real difference being that I separated the meat from the veggies for the simple ease of ensuring that every ingredient cooks for the proper amount of time.

Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Jelly Toast #SundaySupper

The addition of the vibrant chimichurri sauce adds a kick of flavor and a fun alternative to BBQ sauce. It’s so fresh and full of herbs and spices, this sauce is great on pretty much anything. Slather it on chicken or even stir it into rice for a kicked up side dish. It’s my go-to summer dipping sauce.

Steak Skewers with Chimichurri Recipe

Yield: 4 Servings

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

1.3 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 Tablespoon olive oil + 1/2 cup (separated)
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
salt and black pepper
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup Italian parsley leaves
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
10 mint leaves
2 Tablespoons fresh Oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
2 garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 lemon, juiced

Directions

Place steak in a large, gallon size ziplock bag. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, horseradish, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Seal bag and squish the bag around to coat the beef evenly. Place bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes. Remove steak from bag and discard marinade. Skewer steaks on metal BBQ skewers (or soaked bamboo skewers).

Heat grill to medium high heat. Grill steak skewers until desired donees, flipping once during cook time. Remove from heat, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Place 1/2 cup of olive oil, vinegar, parsley, cilantro, mint, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until sauce is completely smooth (or until your desired consistency). Serve Chimichurri with the steak skewers. Enjoy!

Notes:

Skewer up some chopped veggies to grill along side your steak for a complete, grilled meal.
July 20th, 2014

Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Jelly Toast #SundaySupper

Looking for more BBQ inspiration for the rest of your summer? Look no further than our Sunday Supper table!

Happy Sunday!

Beverages

Appetizers

Sides and Accompaniments

Main Dishes

Desserts

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

56 Responses to “steak skewers with chimichurri #SundaySupper”

1. Jennie @themessybakerblog — July 20, 2014 @ 8:46 am (#)

So much goodness. Gotta love a good grilled kabob.

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:28 pm (#)

Thanks so much for hosting this week, Jennie!

2. Pingback: Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

3. Pingback: Grilled Corn on the Cob with Cilantro-Lime Butter by The Redhead Baker

4. Pingback: Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie | Pies and Plots

5. Cheryl — July 20, 2014 @ 10:30 am (#)

I love the “all gone” picture at the end! Shish kabobs sound delish right now! I would love it if you would share this recipe with my recipe link party The Yuck Stops Here this Tuesday evening anytime after 8pm ET on my blog Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos. The party lasts ’til next Sunday, so stop by anytime – hope to see you there! HUGS

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:29 pm (#)

Thanks so much, Cheryl! And thank you for the invite to your link party!!

6. Pingback: Grilled Sanma! #SundaySupper » A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen

7. Pingback: Blueberry and Raspberry Galette #SundaySupper

8. Simply Gourmet — July 20, 2014 @ 12:51 pm (#)

Absolutely beautiful pictures! Great recipe too. I need to make chimichurri sauce soon. Off to print the recipe.

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:30 pm (#)

Thank you so much! Yes, the chimichurri sauce is a must – it’s great on anything!

9. Constance J Smith (@FoodieArmyWife) — July 20, 2014 @ 12:51 pm (#)

Gorgeous recipe!!!

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:30 pm (#)

Thank you, Constance!

10. mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — July 20, 2014 @ 1:54 pm (#)

Forget the steak, just give me some of this chimichurri! Wow that green is amazing!

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:31 pm (#)

Chimichurri is the best!!

11. Pingback: Grilled Peach Crumble for your sweet tooth! #SundaySupper - tryanythingonceculinary.com

12. Pingback: S'Mores Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

13. Pingback: Mom's Classic Macaroni Salad #SundaySupper | Webicurean

14. Sarah — July 20, 2014 @ 3:07 pm (#)

I know a gang of hungry Italians who would devour this!

• Emily — July 20, 2014 @ 4:31 pm (#)

That’s what I like to hear, Sarah!!

15. Pingback: Grilled Lemon Pesto Shrimp Recipe | Nosh My Way

16. Melanie | Melanie Makes — July 20, 2014 @ 5:10 pm (#)

These sound absolutely amazing – so wish I was having these for dinner tonight!

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:18 pm (#)

Thanks so much, Melanie! You aren’t a very long drive away, I could save some! ;-)

17. Pingback: Farm Stand Blackberry Cornbread Buckle | The Wimpy Vegetarian

18. amanda @ fake ginger — July 20, 2014 @ 5:43 pm (#)

I totally want this for dinner tonight.

19. Denise — July 20, 2014 @ 7:36 pm (#)

This is a great recipe for a Sunday Supper! Love all the fresh ingredients used with chimichurri, and it really cuts through delicious but fatty beef.

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:17 pm (#)

You are so right, the bright tangy sauce is a great way to lighten up the beef. We don’t eat beef all that often so it’s a really nice treat once in a while :)

20. Pingback: It's a #SundaySupper Summer BBQ Party!

21. Matt Robinson — July 21, 2014 @ 1:36 am (#)

The flavoring of these is absolutely incredible, love this recipe. Great pics:)

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:16 pm (#)

Thank you so much, Matt!

22. Ala — July 21, 2014 @ 4:47 am (#)

It’s awesome that your dad’s a wonderful cook–mine is a can-cook, meaning that he cooked for me when he came down here recently and we had a stir-fry. Whee! It’s totally impressive what great memories you have of putting these skewers together though–and I love the chimchurri. Thanks for sharing–it was so great to see your recipe and a familiar face on my very first Sunday Supper! :)

23. zerrin — July 21, 2014 @ 5:28 am (#)

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try it! Pinned!

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:15 pm (#)

Thank you, Zerrin!

24. Liz — July 21, 2014 @ 8:11 am (#)

I haven’t made beef kebabs yet this summer. Yours look amazing…truly gorgeous photos!

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:16 pm (#)

Thank you so much, Liz! They were definitely a hit with the whole family :)

25. Pingback: Mango Peanut Slaw #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker

26. Annie @Maebells — July 21, 2014 @ 5:28 pm (#)

I totally love grilled skewers, they are one of my favorite summertime dinners! Love your flavor combo!

• Emily — July 21, 2014 @ 6:14 pm (#)

Thank you, Annie!!

27. Martin D. Redmond — July 21, 2014 @ 8:54 pm (#)

Great, great recipe. I usually do a flap steak with chimichurri sauce, but I love kebabs and this is a great way to do it! Pinning!

28. Tara — July 22, 2014 @ 9:16 am (#)

My mouth is completely watering looking at the recipe. I love chimichurri and your recipe looks perfect!!

29. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva — July 22, 2014 @ 4:23 pm (#)

Gorgeous photos. The combination with chimichurri and steak skewers is killer!

30. Kimberly — July 22, 2014 @ 5:15 pm (#)

Oh my … this looks and sounds positively divine!

Love the combination of flavors!

31. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — July 22, 2014 @ 5:33 pm (#)

My VERY favourite condiment. Just noticed your instagram feed and off to enjoy that now too.

32. Laura — July 23, 2014 @ 4:41 am (#)

I love chimichurri sauce but I haven’t made it myself yet. Really need to get onto that.

33. Pingback: Mango Beef Kebabs #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

34. Julie @ Texan New Yorker — July 23, 2014 @ 7:06 pm (#)

Love chimuchurri! Your pictures are just amazing, too. I’m in awe. :)

• Emily — July 23, 2014 @ 9:35 pm (#)

Thank you, Julie!

35. Dionne Baldwin — July 24, 2014 @ 6:08 pm (#)

It’s so much fun to get the kiddos involved in meal prep. Thank you for sharing a bit of your childhood memories with us.

You know, I’ve never made chimichurri before and every time I thought about it, I didn’t know where to turn for a recipe. I’m keeping this one for later.

36. Alice — July 25, 2014 @ 12:57 am (#)

well I was just craving some ice cream but after reading about steak kabobs with chimichurri sauce,… I think I want to eat this instead!

37. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — July 25, 2014 @ 4:33 pm (#)

OhhhEmmmGeeeee the flavors, the colors….mmmmm I love them!!

38. Pingback: Gochujang Peanut Asian-Style Pasta for #SundaySupper | Wallflour Girl

39. Mira L — July 28, 2014 @ 10:03 pm (#)

They look so juicy, I want to try them soon! 45 minutes marinating time sounds pretty good! And the fresh chimuchurri sauce is the perfect match !

40. Anne @ Webicurean — August 5, 2014 @ 11:40 am (#)

I love how the meat cubes are all stacked up on their own skewers–I’d be the one squirreling away the beef skewers and leaving the veg ones behind! This recipe sounds awesome!

• Emily — August 8, 2014 @ 10:19 pm (#)

Thank you so much, Anne!

41. Pingback: Mine for the Making Food-a-licious Friday: 30 of the Best Skewer Recipes » Mine for the Making

42. Pingback: Weekly Seasonal Menu, 19-25 October - three beans on a string