ginger plum sangria #SundaySupper

A late summer sangria calls for a rainbow of plums, a bit of ginger and a whole lot of fabulous Sweet Red Gallo Family wine. Just add a cool summer night to this Ginger Plum Sangria and you’ve got my idea for the perfect party.

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

I know, I know. I talk about the weather a lot. A lot, a lot. But I just want to go on record as saying this has been one of my very favorite summers of all time. The weather has occasionally gotten into the 80’s but has been riding steady in the mid to low 70’s, complete with cool evening breezes that have made all of my dreams come true. I love a mild summer and all that comes with it.

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

Last week, we attended a back-to-school/end of the summer party complete with a wonderful sangria. It got me thinking that I really need to make a fabulous sangria for our family’s labor day get together. With all of the summer stone fruit coming out in droves I thought that a Ginger Plum Sangria would hit the spot.

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

Plums are one of my favorite fruits. I love, love plums in all their forms. Red, black, golden – anything goes. The problem is that plums have such a short window of being fabulous and I’m happy to tell you my friends that we are smack dab in the middle of that fabulous plum window. I decided to pair my plums with Gallo’s wonderful Sweet Red Wine.

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

I love that the Sweet Red already tastes of fabulous black cherries and red fruits. I paired it with the not too sweet plums and a splash of ginger liqueur as well as a few slices of spicy fresh ginger. The ginger goes a long way to round out the flavors of this late summer sangria. I can’t wait to pair this Ginger Plum Sangria with our BBQ spread for labor day.  It’s going to be out of this world!

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

Another Gallo wine that is a perfect pairing for summer time entertaining and BBQ is their new Riesling. It has a lovely light taste that gives you hints of peach, pear and citrus. For more information on the Gallo Family of wines visit their website and store locator. There is even a $1 off digital coupon to use when stocking up for your Labor Day party. Also be sure to follow Gallo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for more summer entertaining inspiration.

GFV-family-logo

Ginger Plum Sangria | www.jellytoastblog.com

Here is the full recipe and instructions for this simple and lovely Ginger Plum Sangria:

Ginger Plum Sangria Recipe

Yield: 6-8 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes + 2 hours inactive prep time

Ingredients

6 plums, pitted and sliced (I used several different varieties)
1 bottle Gallo Family Sweet Red Wine
1 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into discs
1/2 cup ginger liqueur
ice for serving
club soda for serving

Directions

Combine plums, Gallo Family Sweet Red wine, ginger and ginger liqueur in a large pitcher and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until flavors have blended. This can also be made the night before your gathering. For serving, fill glasses with ice and pour in sangria. Don't forget to add a few pieces of wine soaked fruit to each glass. Top with a splash of club soda for some fizz. Enjoy!
August 22nd, 2014

Looking for some Labor Day BBQ recipes to go along with this Ginger Plum Sangria? Check out Gallo’s Labor Day Recipes and the rest of our amazing Sunday Supper Table!

Labor Day Beverages:

Labor Day Savory Bites:

Labor Day Desserts:

Sunday Supper Movement

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

47 Responses to “ginger plum sangria #SundaySupper”

1. Liz — August 22, 2014 @ 6:36 am (#)

Now I want to invite some friends over so we can sip on your gorgeous sangria! I love the addition of plums and ginger…swooning!

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 8:47 am (#)

Thanks so much, Liz!

2. Renee — August 22, 2014 @ 6:38 am (#)

Love this sangria! I haven’t seen one with only plus and I think it would be simply delightful.

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 8:53 am (#)

It’s amazing how the plums and ginger give the sangria such wonderful flavor. I love playing around with diff fruits in sangria :) Thanks for stopping by, Renee!

3. Pingback: Our Labor Day Entertaining #SundaySupper Menu with Gallo Family

4. Katie — August 22, 2014 @ 6:54 am (#)

I cannot get over how beautiful those plums are! And anything with ginger totally has my heart….

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 8:52 am (#)

I’m a total ginger girl, for sure!! Thanks for stopping by, Katie!

5. Betsy @ Desserts Required — August 22, 2014 @ 7:38 am (#)

Great combinations, Emily. You are so smart to take advantage of the plums at their peak. Adding Gallo’s Sweet Red Wine and a good dose of ginger is brilliant!

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 8:52 am (#)

Thanks so much, Betsy!!

6. Shaina — August 22, 2014 @ 7:59 am (#)

It is so hard to find a good plum! But now that I know we’re right in the middle of their peak season, I must go get some… and make this sangria. I haven’t made sangria all summer, Labor Day would be the perfect time to do it!

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 8:52 am (#)

The plums are great right now! I hope they last a bit longer :) Thanks for stopping by, Shaina!

7. Pingback: German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) | Magnolia Days

8. Mimi — August 22, 2014 @ 9:35 am (#)

It must have been the mobile sight, because now I can see the comments. I just wanted to tell you that your photos are stunning. Absolutely gorgeous colors.

• Emily — August 22, 2014 @ 10:38 am (#)

Thanks again for letting me know there were troubles, Mimi! I really appreciate it. Thanks so much for your kind words about the photos, too! This sangria is so easy and just tastes fabulous :)

9. Pingback: Ruffles & Truffles

10. Pingback: In The Kitchen With KP Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler for Easy Entertaining #SundaySupper @GalloFamily - In The Kitchen With KP

11. Pingback: Mango Riesling Coulis #SundaySupper - Run DMT

12. Pingback: Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling #SundaySupper | Webicurean

13. Nichole — August 22, 2014 @ 12:28 pm (#)

I have been on a ginger kick this year (helllllo ginger beer). This sangria with the ginger and plum looks so refreshing! Gorgeous photos, too!

14. Pingback: Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime | The Wimpy Vegetarian

15. Pingback: Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks

16. susan @ the wimpy vegetarian — August 22, 2014 @ 4:24 pm (#)

What a beautiful drink. The color is fantastic, and I love the plums you added. It feels perfect for moving into a warm sunny autumn.

17. Run DMT — August 22, 2014 @ 6:42 pm (#)

What a gorgeous sangria! Perfect for summer!

18. Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 22, 2014 @ 7:25 pm (#)

Beautiful sangria! Perfect for savoring the last days of summer! Cheers!

19. Pingback: Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

20. Alida — August 22, 2014 @ 9:03 pm (#)

What a unique flavor combination for sangria! It sounds absolutely delicious…and so refreshing for the end of summer!

21. Pingback: Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

22. Pingback: Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini #SundaySupper

23. Pingback: Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake #SundaySupper - Desserts Required

24. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — August 23, 2014 @ 12:44 pm (#)

This is one gorgeous drink!!

25. Pingback: Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious

26. Kathia Rodriguez — August 23, 2014 @ 3:57 pm (#)

What a great color in that sangria, looks delicious.

27. Thalia @ butter and brioche — August 23, 2014 @ 10:11 pm (#)

i am totally loving the sound of a ginger and plum sangria. definitely saving this recipe to recreate for the upcoming summer season.

28. Pingback: Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

29. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — August 24, 2014 @ 6:51 am (#)

What a gorgeous and unique sangria! Love it!

30. Heather // girlichef — August 24, 2014 @ 10:50 am (#)

Oh, ginger + plum sounds like an amazing combo! I know without a doubt that I’ll be adding this to our Labor Day menu!

31. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — August 24, 2014 @ 11:08 am (#)

I love sangria. . this looks delicious!

32. Family Foodie — August 24, 2014 @ 12:48 pm (#)

What an amazing combination of flavors! I bet this will be the hit of my next get together!!

33. Hezzi-D — August 24, 2014 @ 4:49 pm (#)

Oh yum! I just bought a ton of plums! I can’t wait to try this spiced sangria.

34. Cookbook Queen — August 25, 2014 @ 10:35 am (#)

Your drinks are always so beautiful! Wish I could come over and share!!

35. Anne @ Webicurean — August 25, 2014 @ 12:12 pm (#)

I don’t think I’ve ever had ginger liqueur! The color of this sangria is so rich and beautiful, it’ll look great in any setting! Can’t wait to try this one…

36. Marion@Life Tastes Good — August 26, 2014 @ 11:27 am (#)

This combination sounds delicious and it is so pretty! I just know it will be a big hit when I have the girls over! Thanks for sharing!

37. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 27, 2014 @ 7:04 pm (#)

Beautiful plums! Beautiful wine! Beautiful recipes! Beautiful photos!

Lovely. Just so lovely.

• Emily — August 30, 2014 @ 12:07 pm (#)

Thanks so much, Lori!

38. Lisa @ Wine & Glue — August 28, 2014 @ 10:04 am (#)

This looks amazing!! I totally tried to make a ginger flavored sangria last year and it was a HUGE fail. I can’t wait to try your version! Pinned!

• Emily — August 30, 2014 @ 12:07 pm (#)

The ginger liqueur with the bit of fresh ginger made this wonderful!! If you’ve never tried the ginger liqueur before, you should definitely give it a try :)

39. Pingback: sausage mushroom and bacon pasta #sundaysupper