stuffed acorn squash #SundaySupper
This post is sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards via the Sunday Supper Movement.
With ghosts and goblins behind us, our attention is now turned to the season of giving and thanksgiving. The season of comfort and family and hope and love. And while I try to keep that feeling of giving and thankfulness alive all year round, inevitably life gets in the way and before I know it, my feeling of good cheer has been chipped away and in it’s place is business and excuses for all of the important things that I am not making time to do.
So now that November is here, I’m ready to try again. To reset my compass for what is truly important: giving comfort. That can mean an abundance of things. It’s giving a friend a quiet ear to to talk to, or a kind shoulder to cry on. It’s taking the time in the middle of errands and homework to give your kids an extra hug and tell them that they’re loved. It’s volunteering with you church to bring meals to the families in your community who are struggling and hungry.
Every year, our church (among many other opportunities to give and help) holds a drive for socks to distribute at a local mission. It’s a seemingly small thing, socks, but to those who need something warm on their feet, it can make a world of difference. We go sock shopping and add our socks, of all different sizes, to the bins in the back of our church. I’m positive that there are similar drives and opportunities to share your time and generosity in your own communities.
Gallo Family Vineyard is teaming up with Meals on Wheels to host wonderful campaign called Every Cork Counts. For every Gallo Family Vineyard cork that gets sent back to Gallo, they will donate $1 to Meals on Wheels, which helps fight hunger in Seniors. You can either mail your corks or submit a photo of your corks online.
When I think of comforting my own family, I tend to go in the way of comfort food. For me that is fall flavors and colors. My husband’s very favorite Thanksgiving food is his mom’s amazing Sausage Filling and I have to say that I’ve become a bit of an expert on the stuff. I thought it would be great to play with the flavors of this beloved sausage filling and create a lovely stuffed acorn squash recipe. This dish is full of Italian sausage, celery, onions and garlic. I swapped out the traditional bread cubes for my favorite rainbow quinoa and the results were fabulous. Pairing these stuffed acorn squash with Gallo Family’s Pinot Grigio was a wise, wise choice.
For more information on the Gallo Family of wines visit their website and store locator. There is even a $1 off digital coupon to use when stocking up for your own Thanksgiving dinner. Also be sure to follow Gallo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for more comfort food inspiration.
When planning your season of comfort food, be sure to check out Gallo Family Vineyard’s selection of wines, especially their lovely Pinot Grigio and their beautifully deep Cabernet Sauvignon. While you’re there browsing the wine, stop to learn more about their Every Cork Counts campaign to see how you can make a difference this holiday season. And be sure to check out the rest of these amazing comfort dishes from our Sunday Supper Table!
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.